Sunday, August 07, 2005

boarding school


I went into high gear when I got home ordering what my son needs for boarding school. The list includes a hunter green comforter, a color none of the usual mail order places are carrying this year. I finally found one (or close enough) at LL Bean.

When I was in college I bought a lot of my clothes in boys size 18, so I was suprised how hard it is to find boys size 18 and 20. The profits are higher for young men's clothing, I guess. Boys sizes are cheaper, and my son is getting tall (about 5 ft. 8 in.) but is so skinny that the smallest men's sizes don't really fit him. Lands End was the best bet (Talbots had everything at considerably higher cost) and I saved a few dollars in shipping by ordering Lands End items through Sears. I thought I had found lower-cost oxford cloth shirts at JC Penny online, but the color and size I wanted most were sold out. All of this took about 5 hours of searching and comparing, but I'm glad to have avoided malls and department stores.

No comments: