Thursday, January 08, 2009

disappointment

We were supposed to go to the first meeting of an Alzheimer's Association early stages support group this morning. But John woke up during the night coughing and didn't get much sleep. He called the doctor and took the first appointment he was offered, at the same time as the support group. The doctor said it was just a cold and gave John more codeine cough medicine. I had told John not to take it (we had some on hand) because it was likely to cause hallucinations but he took it anyway this morning and said he didn't have any problem.

This kind of thing is hard for me because if I had been the one who was sick I would have taken much more seriously my commitment to the support group. John was positive about the group when we signed up in December, so hopefully we will get to the next meeting in two weeks and he will like it. I would really like to have a place to share the confusion of this stage when John is ok and not ok.

No comments: