Saturday, September 20, 2008

Convent

The Convent of St. Helena is no longer going to offer retreats, as they are closing their house in New York and all the sisters will live in Augusta. I was shocked when I got the email--I knew there were some financial issues in New York but I had heard less radical ideas and they seem to be steadily getting new members so I didn't think those issues were overwhelming. They don't even plan to stay in Augusta--they say they are looking for a new opportunity.

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the news. What attracted me so much to the place was the sense of continuity--that when I left after a retreat they were still there chanting the services four times a day. They recently finished the multi-year job of publishing their breviary. I'm shocked that continuity can disappear so suddenly. Cintra's sermon gives me some way of making sense of it.

I have signed up to go to their last retreat, next weekend. I hope that will give me more understanding and some closure.

1 comment:

Joann said...

Woah! I'm also very shocked! I can't imagine them not being there. And the property in NY is probably worth millions. I'm shocked beyond shock. And very sad. I .... am just so shocked.

Oh, and thank you so very much for your kind gift. It's so very much appreciated!

Shocking!