Thursday, January 17, 2008

done


We still have snow on the grass and trees, but the roads even early this morning were slushy, not icy. The prep was less difficult than I expected (no cramps) and I was able to sleep comfortably most of the night. No wait when we got to the hospital and the nurse got the IV on the first try. I took my mp3 player with peaceful music and they let me keep it on the whole time--I was particularly glad to have it when I had a bit of a wait for the doctor in the procedure room. The sedation drug, Diprivan, gave a burning feeling going into my arm and a weird taste in my mouth, but the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room asking "is it over?" No discomfort afterwards except a lot of gas and rumbling stomach as food hits my system again. Overall, a much less difficult experience than I had expected. And it showed no problems.

Update. It turns out that there is quite a controversy over whether it is worth the extra expense to give the kind of deep sedation I had. My procedure was done by a general surgeon in the hospital, more commonly they are done by gastroenterologists at the doctor's office.

1 comment:

Joann said...

Glad you were able to have a manageable experience, AND that there were no abnormalities.