Friday, August 25, 2006

first week of classes


And first week back to swim practice so I'm still getting used to getting up at 5 am again. I'm tired, though actually not as tired as I was the middle of the week. I'm teaching a lot of education majors, so the demotion of Pluto gave me a good issue to lead off with today. I haven't heard much excitement around here about the decision--it wasn't even on the front page of the local paper. I think it is very interesting, not just scientific questions being decided by vote but also the role of public opinion. I'm thinking about a T-shirt. Or maybe this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Pluto...
Honestly tho..when I think of "Pluto" it's the Walt Disney dog that appears first on my mental TV! LOL

Pem said...

I was an amateur astronomer in high school and started out in college to be an astrophysics major, before I ended up in history of science.