Wednesday, January 25, 2006

long run


In between being overwhelmed by job candidate stuff, I did get my long run in yesterday. I'm glad I did it yesterday--the coach worked us much harder at masters swimming today than he did yesterday. I ran 10.3 miles, a loop from the baseball stadium to the golf course and then along the dike to the crew house and back by the rugby fields, repeated three times (plus once around the football practice fields). A year ago I was proud of myself for running 2 miles three times a week.

I kept a pace pretty close to 15 minute miles for the first 6 or 7 miles, then really started to drag. It hurt even to walk down a steep hill by the end, but I could have walked 3 more miles, not very fast. So I should be able to finish the half-marathon, and maybe with one more long run and then proper tapering I can run the whole thing (except a few short steep hills). No blisters or chafing. I forgot to try taking electrolyte capsules. I ate health food store fig bars, but I think I will go back to Fig Newmans. My legs were sore afterwards, but are fine today, except the usual hip soreness, which is no worse.

No comments: