Wednesday, August 20, 2003

computer frustrations


Today we are getting hit by the Sobig virus; campus email has been closed down much of the day. I'm surprised this one is causing so many problems, as it is the kind of virus the university usually filters out more quickly. I got maybe 30 virus related emails yesterday and today. I should consider myself lucky I didn't get more, given that my email address was stolen and used as a "from" address. Perhaps the campus computer support staff didn't get the virus blocked sooner because they were working on a different problem. The authentication server was down for part of this morning so no one could log on. Thankfully it was up by the time I taught. It would have looked pretty bad to have no one able to log on in the first day of class of a laptops-required class.

No comments: