Saturday, February 08, 2003

Rice for Peace Update


Snopes has posted more information on the Rice for Peace story. He (I assume it is a he) is still listing it as false, but he is arguing against more specific evidence. In response, the Rocky Mountain Peace and Justice Center has posted a more carefully worded historical statement.

I'm struck by how on the web factual accuracy becomes so central to reputation. My reaction is still that it is a wonderful protest even if the history was initially sloppy. It reminds me of the student who told me he hadn't read a book I had assigned to the course he was in because in the first twenty pages he found a statement he knew was false and so he stopped reading.

Further update (2/15):
For more discussion see Body and Soul and Long Story Short Pier.

No comments: