Sunday, October 24, 2010

Green Tomato Relish

Amounts are approximations. I suspect the tomatoes are acid enough that this can be safely canned in a boiling water bath, but don't count on that until I have done some research. I will test later and report back. (I am waiting for some pH test strips--if the pH is under 4.5 it is safe.)

5 lbs green tomatoes
2 lbs sweet onions
2 tblsp picking spice plus an additional 1/2 teasp cardomon seed in a mesh ball
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup cider vinegar plus perhaps another 1/4 cup to taste at the end
3/4 cup sugar

Coarsely chop the onions and tomatoes, add the other ingredients, and cook over low heat until they release liquid. Then cook at a simmer until very soft, a total of about 2 hours. I pureed about 4 cups of the mixture briefly in the blender to make the sauce thicker. Adjust seasonings--I added a little more vinegar and some salt. Pack in jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes or refrigerate. Makes 6 pints.

No comments: