Saturday, February 28, 2009

away

This trip has been somewhat restful, as I'm less involved with this professional society than with the other two (and also because I drove rather than flying). John took my suggestion and took Aunt Florence out to dinner and said that went smoothly. I don't yet worry about John managing while I am away, but I do worry a little about his spending money. He only spends money on audiobooks and wine, but he has very high standards in wine. I've tried a little to get some control, but he hasn't gone along. I suppose I should push the issue more and say what can we set up now so that it isn't a problem later.

2 comments:

Joann said...

We reduced the credit limit on Betty's card so that no more than $2K could be spent at any one time.

On my credit card, I have a fraud alert on my card and the credit card company calls me if a purchase of over $500 is made to ensure it's ME making that purchase and not some thief.

You might want to quietly make similar changes to J.'s credit card(s) so that he can't spend more than could cause too much financial chaos.

We also limit the funds in her available checking account. It's OK if J's register shows a smaller amount of funds. It might make him be more concervative too.

I did many of these changes on-line. You might be able to set these up without ever having to make a phone call.

It's all a maze of turns and twists, but there many ways to handle individual worries. The worries will change over time, just to keep you off balance.

Pam said...

That is what I can't do--that one card is in John's name and is not with a local bank. Until later on when I activate the power of attorney, they won't talk to me.