Sunday, November 02, 2008

friends

In this early stage of John's illness I'm afraid that friends won't believe me. John’s closest friend is in denial about John's illness, to the point where even John comments on that. It is partly because the friend has a wife with very slowly progressing Parkinson’s, without cognitive issues. John is going to Texas for 10 days the end of this week, mostly visiting that friend, but I don't know if that will change his friend's view as John holds it together pretty well when he travels.

Another friend of John's seems to get it, but I’m scared to ask him what he thinks. A few of my friends say “how awful!” but then I don’t know what to say. How to live with grace in a terrible situation without denying how bad it is? I don’t want to make it look easy but I also don't want to just say "woe is me."

No comments: