Sunday, November 25, 2007

low carb stuffing


We celebrated Thanksgiving today, since my daughter had her wisdom teeth out Wednesday. She is doing a lot better now, but it was a hard few days for her. Still, it has been wonderful to have both kids home.

We have gone to St. Christophers for Thanksgiving for three years, so this is the first time since I was diagnosed with diabetes that I have cooked Thanksgiving. So I invented my own low carb stuffing.

1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
2 large onions, chopped
1 lb. mushrooms, different kinds, quartered
2 apples, peeled and chopped
1 lb. parsnips, steamed until soft
1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped

Cook breakfast sausage, breaking up, then remove from pan. Either in the fat or in oil cook the onions until they begin to brown, the add the mushrooms and cook over fairly high heat until done. Add the sausage back to the pan and the apples. Cook until the apples soften and then stir in the parsnips and sage. Stuff a turkey or warm in the oven.

I think the next time I will add some red pepper flakes--it wasn't quite as savory as I would have liked. Parsnips are fairly high carb as vegetables go, but I am fond of them and they work relatively well for me. It might be good with white turnips, which are lower carb, but my husband doesn't like them.

No comments: