Tuesday, June 06, 2006

race coming up


After two trips out of town two weekends in a row, I'm not feeling very well prepared for my first international distance triathlon this Sunday. I haven't peaked enough to have much sense of how to taper, except to take it a bit easy this week and take the day before off. The race information is now posted, but there isn't anything particularly surprising. I'm glad to hear they expect the last finisher about 11:45--I looked at last year's results and the last woman was in under 3 1/2 hours. I would be thrilled with 3 1/2 hours, in fact happy with anything under 4 hours. I'm hoping it is a bit flatter than here. There are 225 people registered, and at least 4 women in my age group. Ah well, there goes my chance of getting a 3rd place award because there are only three in the age group.

My husband had a conversation today with the mother of a kid who was a friend of my son when they were small. My husband's conclusion from the conversation is that the public schools are just as problematic for such kids as we feared. One story was that the kid came home upset because the teacher taught something he knew was wrong. The parents called the teacher about it and the teacher said he knew it was wrong but it was that way on the state test so that is the way he taught it.

No comments: