Monday, June 06, 2005

weight and health

While I'm no longer overweight, I am still angry at doctors who blame all health problems on being overweight. I've lost 60 lbs. and turned myself into an athlete and my diabetes is no easier to control than it was when I started. I have to watch my diet just as carefully to avoid my blood sugar going too high. I feel a lot better, but that is mostly the result of controlling my blood sugar. My blood pressure and cholesterol panel haven't improved either, except a 10 point rise in my already high HDL.

Anyway, there is a useful overview article in Scientific American on the growing critique of the medical prejudice against overweight, which I learned about thanks to Alas (a blog). My experience certainly is that pre-diabetes causes weight gain rather than being overweight causing diabetes. When I started controlling my blood sugar I wasn't hungry all the time and lost weight without trying (even before I started intense exercise).

No comments: