Thursday, March 24, 2005

Maundy Thursday


My church does footwashing, but it doesn't mean as much to me now that my kids no longer think it is cool to go. What moved me was the hymn:
Go to dark Gethsemane,
ye that feel the tempter's power;
your Redeemer's conflict see,
watch with him one bitter hour;
turn not from his griefs away,
learn of Jesus Christ to pray.

Follow to the judgment hall;
view the Lord of life arraigned;
O the wormwood and gall!
O the pangs his souls sustained!
Shun not suffering, shame, or loss;
learn of him to bear the cross.

Calvary's mournful mountain climb;
there, adoring at his feet,
mark the miracle of time,
God's own sacrifice complete;
"It is finished!" hear him cry;
learn of Jesus Christ to die.
And then the stripping of the altar, the removal of all decorations from the church in preparation for the vigil leading up to Good Friday. I will keep the vigil at church from 5 to 6 am.

No comments: