Tuesday, April 13, 2004

orthodontist


I took my son for an evaluation by an orthodontist. He wasn't quite as bad as the chiropractor I saw last year, but there was some of the same kind of disguised hard sell of standardized solutions. I kept trying to separate the cosmetic and the functional issues and the orthodontist wanted to keep them lumped together, only he never used the word cosmetic, but rather said aesthetic. He carefully showed me the improved profiles on before and after pictures of some patients. I'm going to get a second opinion, not because I doubt the treatment choices but because I just feel so uncomfortable with the orthodontist. I still don't know whether to do it at all--my son's problem is mild. It would take full braces for two years to treat it because all the teeth need to be shifted a little.

No comments: