Friday, May 23, 2003

teaching with technology


I just taught a workshop on alternatives to PowerPoint. One of the participants asked me what advantages my web page approach has over PowerPoint, other than the ability to scroll up and down. I said I don't know that it has any major advantages, PowerPoint just doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't suit the way my brain works. It felt hard to change people's mindset from "what is the best way to do X?" to the idea that different approaches suit different people. I finally said that I'm not a dynamic lecturer like some of the professors in my department but I remember that when I was a student I didn't like best the professors who were flashy performers, I liked quiet sincerity. Variations in styles of teaching are a good thing because different styles are going to suit different students, not to mention that it would be boring if everyone were the same.

No comments: