Friday, April 04, 2003

Chiropractic


Am I the last person in South Carolina who has never been to a chiropractor? I'm going next week hoping to get help with a back problem that I've had since I had to pack and unpack my office in the move last December and which isn't getting better. I grew up in New York and Massachusetts in a culture where chiropractic was considered really low class. Several years ago I read the history of chiropractic in Norman Gevitz, ed., Other Healers: Unorthodox Medicine in America (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, 1988) and it is not an inspiring story. Interesting, the focus for chiropractors who refuse to participate in the key compromise with mainstream medicine that gained them respectability is the local Sherman College of Straight Chiropractic.

Update: For a story about chiropractic as a hustle see How-to lessons on Making Light.

No comments: