Sunday, December 15, 2002

Lott's Priorities



As little as I think of the man, I'm still shocked that Lott is putting out the word that he would resign from his seat if forced to resign from the leadership (link is to a good article in the Washington Post--registration is required unless you get to it through Google News). Isn't the majority leader supposed to put the good of his party ahead of his own personal ambition? Has honor simply come to be seen as oldfashioned?

When I urged my students to vote in November they talked about how their votes don't matter and they talked about how little respect they have for politicians. It is getting harder to argue against them--I finally was reduced to asking them if they thought it would make our system of government better or worse if 20% of eligible citizens voted instead of 40%.

No comments: