Sunday, January 14, 2007

spam


My university does a pretty good job of protecting us from spam--I only get maybe 5 to 10 spam messages a day, and my email address is on the web. What is annoying, however, is the good messages that get labeled as spam or even deleted. Sometimes I send myself a message to get a link from my home computer to my work computer, and the last one of those didn't go through at all. Today I got a message from a colleague with a list of bibliographic suggestions for my daughter (on archaeology). The message did get through, but was labeled as spam. The content analysis says:

Content analysis details: (8.1 points, 5.0 required)
----------------------
MR_NOT_ATTRIBUTED_IP Beta rule: an non-attributed IPv4 found in headers 2.3
MANGLED_PILL BODY: mangled pill(s) 0.3
LONGWORD BODY: Uses overlong words 1.0
OFFER_URI URI: Offer in link address 0.7
MIME_HTML_MOSTLY BODY: Multipart message
mostly text/html MIME 0.0
HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message 1.6
MISSING_SUBJECT Missing Subject: header 2.0
NO_RDNS2 Sending MTA has no reverse DNS

The spam score is high, it isn't over by just a little bit. Some of the problem is text cut and pasted from Amazon, with the links in it. But I really don't think it is a good idea for a university to judge something as spam because it uses overlong words! And something send by a colleage at the same university shouldn't have problems with the headers (except the lack of a subject, which is something I will be more careful about in the future).

No comments: